Pregnancy Back Pain Relief
From swollen ankles to an aching back, being pregnant comes with all kinds of discomfort. In any trimester, you may benefit from chiropractic care. Getting pregnancy back pain relief is one of the services we offer our patients. Let’s start off with a visual example.
This is what it looks like to get adjusted by a chiropractor when you’re pregnant. The video shows a patient who was 34 weeks along in her pregnancy. You can see her experience and an immediate relief from neck and back pain. Click here for a direct link to that video and subscribe to our YouTube channel for more chiropractic examples and an idea of what we do for our patients every day!
That video illustrates how valuable chiropractic care can be during pregnancy. If you are pregnant and in pain in Friendswood, TX, we are here to help you! Let’s dive deeper into the hows and whys of visiting the chiropractor during pregnancy.
Chiropractic Care When Pregnant
There are a few different reasons you experience back pain while pregnant. While it may seem obvious to a pregnant woman, the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists delineates the following reasons for pregnancy back pain:
- The weight of your uterus (which causes you to bend forward and your back muscles to compensate)
- Weakened abdominal muscles
- Loosened joints around the pelvis (this can lead to hypermobility and various kinds of pain)
Long-term studies have been conducted on women who receive chiropractic care when pregnant. These studies report a decrease in pain for women who receive manual chiropractic therapy, like the kind we offer at Select Spine & Sports Medicine.
There are numerous kinds of pain that can be offset by chiropractic care during pregnancy. According to the American Chiropractic Association, there are five basic kinds of pain common to pregnant women that can be helped with chiropractic care. These include:
- Lower back pain: this is due to stress on the lumbar, or lower spine, as well as shifted gravity. Tight muscles and changes in your gait can make this pain more severe. Frequently, this pain continues even after the baby is born. Click here to read more about chiropractic care for lower back pain.
- Sciatic pain: tension in the glutes and hips can contribute to this kind of pain. As pressure on the uterus increases, so can lower back pain that extends down into the legs.
- Sacroiliac pain: in preparation for childbirth, your ligaments loosen. This can destabilize weight distribution in your body and cause pressure on your joints. You may interpret this as pain in your hips.
- Ligament pain: round ligaments around the uterus stretch out as your baby grows. This can cause sharp pains on either side of your stomach and into your pelvis.
- Pubic pain: pubic symphysis is a pain that happens as the ligaments around your pubic region relax. When you’re pregnant, this can cause a decrease in mobility and throbbing pain in your pubic area.
Many pregnant women seek relief from these conditions. Chiropractic care can help.
Hire a Chiropractor During Pregnancy
Women expect that pregnancy will be uncomfortable. Some women suffer more than they have to. The general pain and fatigue of pregnancy can be offset by regular, chiropractic care. Women have a lot of questions about chiropractic care for pregnancy back pain relief, let’s address those basic questions.
1. Is it safe?
Answer: Yes. Medical journals report that chiropractic treatment during pregnancy is safe and can be effective.
2. Does it work?
Answer: Yes. Both anecdotal and medical evidence point to chiropractic care as being a helpful, side-effect free method of managing back pain during pregnancy. Additionally, some women report that it helps with nausea and reduces labor time.
3. Do I need it?
Answer: it could be very helpful to you. It can help with posture, changes in your pelvis, alignment, and overall comfort. Regular adjustments may be required as your body is constantly changing during pregnancy.
4. How do I schedule it?
Answer: Our professional chiropractors are experienced and equipped to perform adjustments during pregnancy. As you saw in the video, we work with many pregnant patients. Pregnancy back pain can be addressed through regular care. You can get in touch with us in many ways:
- Go here to schedule your appointment online.
- Go here for hours, address, phone number, and contact us for more information.
We would love to contribute to your healthy pregnancy!